1 in 10 women experiences perinatal anxiety (during pregnancy or the postpartum period). Symptoms include, but are not limited to:
- Excessive worry that is distressing and difficult to control.
- Uncomfortable physical symptoms
- May occur with depression symptoms.
Symptoms of Perinatal Anxiety Can Include:
- Excessive or constant worry that feels difficult to control
- Racing thoughts
- Restlessness, agitation, hard to sit still
- Sleep or appetite disturbances
- Physical symptoms: dizziness, nausea, shakiness
In addition to generalized anxiety during pregnancy or the postpartum period, there are specific types of anxiety to be aware of:
Postpartum Panic Disorder:
Panic disorder takes on the physical symptoms of the anxiety disorder with symptoms of shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, feeling a loss of control. These panic attacks can be reoccurring and feel like they come on in waves. It is important to remember that perinatal and postpartum anxiety and panic are temporary and treatable with professional help.
If you believe you or someone you know may be suffering from perinatal anxiety, please contact us.